Wouldn’t it be great if you could do a few simple things and really improve your life? Well, it really is just that simple. Changing your light bulb could change your life.
Considering all the crazy things we try just to lose weight, feel better or get a little more sleep, changing a light bulb seems like an easy thing to do. According to the Huffington Post, research has now proven that light, whether it’s artificial or natural, can have a very big impact on our quality of life. And not just that…light plays an important role in balancing our hormones, keeping us awake when we need to be and letting us have restful sleep at night.
It turns out that light is what turns our circadian rhythm on and off. The circadian rhythm is the hormonal cycle that determines when we wake, when we go to sleep and when our body needs to perform important processes. According to a study published by Harvard, when your circadian rhythm is out of whack, you’re restless, sleepless, grumpy, tired and unproductive. It might even cause you to gain weight. So if you want to improve your life, here are a few things to think about.
7 Places Where You Need A New Light Bulb
- Your Bedside Table. Artificial light, like that produced by the now mandated CFL bulbs is a sleep-stealer. CFLs produce Blue Light, which it turns out is harmful during the nighttime hours. Blue Light inhibits the production of melatonin, which is the hormone responsible for getting us to sleep each night. Long term exposure to Blue Light at night will disrupt your circadian rhythm, causing insomnia, weight gain and even increasing your risk of cancer. Replacing your bedside light with a biologically-corrected LED light for use during the time you’re in bed reading can significantly increase your production of natural melatonin. Recommendation: Try the Good Night Light
- Your Desk. The light you choose to illuminate your workspace is just as important as the light you read by at night. While artificial light at night can keep you from sleeping, light exposure during the daytime is essential for productivity and alertness. Your body would naturally decrease the production of melatonin during the daylight, so exposure to Blue Light during the day is important. Choosing a biologically-corrected LED light while working will increase focus and productivity. Recommendation: Try the Awake & Alert light
- Your Child’s Study Area. Just as with your own daytime workspace, the light your child uses to study by is also important. With the right study light, your child could improve actually improve his grades. Biologically-corrected LED lights are proven to help with alertness and productivity. Recommendation: Try the Awake & Alert light
- Your TV area. If you, or any members of your family, are having trouble sleeping, your TV area is another place to consider changing your light bulbs. Research shows that by switching to non-Blue Light producing bulbs for at least 2 hours before bedtime, your body will produce more natural melatonin and you will sleep better. And the effect of biologically-corrected bulbs isn’t a one time thing. Over time, the increased production of melatonin will mean better sleep. Recommendation: Try the Good Night Light
- Your Indoor Plants. It won’t come as a surprise that plants need sunlight to grow. But if you’re like most of us, you have some indoor plants, too. Whether it’s a potted palm or a kitchen herb garden, your indoor plants will benefit from a grow light. It can provide continuous light, even during grey winter weather. And, it will allow you to set on and off times. Doesn’t sound necessary? What about when you’re away from home? Set a grow light to be on at night when you want to appear at home. And off during the day when house lights can’t be seen. Your plants get the light they need and your home stays safer! Recommendation: Try the My Nature Grow Advantage light
- Your Outdoor Lights. You might think your outdoor lighting is fine, but chances are you need to rethink it. Not only are outdoor lights costly when left on overnight, they can be disruptive to wildlife. One example that is in the news is the sea turtle. Sea turtles find their way on shore and back to the sea by the light of the moon, but artificial outdoor lights distract and disrupt sea turtles causing them to head in the wrong direction! But there are special lights LED lights available, like the MyNature Coastal Bulb that provide a type of light that is amber-colored. It won’t distract wildlife. Plus, they are energy efficient and will save you money on your electric bill! Recommendation: Try the MyNature Coastal light
- That Gift Bag For Your Friend. Want to give a gift that will be be appreciated for years to come? Give the gift of better lighting. For your friend that is having trouble sleeping? Try a GoodNight Light. For your nephew’s graduation? How about an Awake&Alert light to help him study at college?
As science continues to study the effects of artificial lighting on our health – both long-term and short-term – the importance of proper lighting will come into greater focus. It may well be that we find many of our most stubborn health concerns can be addressed by simply changing a light bulb.